- We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Go Green and Be Healthy
I have made a small list of suggestions to clean up your environment, reduce the amount of toxins that we digest and absorb, and natural ways to improve our bodies. Become a label reader. Think about everything you put in and on your body. Unfortunately, our current life styles and environment are deteriorating our health. Several of us, now suffer from allergies, asthma, anxiety, ADD, depression, weight and bowel problems, acne, joint pain, headaches, sleep apnea, behavior issues, and on and on…. It's time to take control. There is absolutely no way our bodies can function properly with all the chemicals that we are exposed to every day. We need to go back to a more simple way of life and we need to do it now. Every one of my suggestions will help, however, this list is small. Go out there and start protecting yourself and your family. This is just your starting point, run with it and be healthier.
The most important thing to change with your life style is to add probiotic and digestive enzymes.
Probiotics are your good bacteria in your gut. They repair the damage that is already there and support the immune system. Stress, chemicals, bacteria, poor nutrition, and antibiotics, (just to name a few) deplete your normal flora, allowing yeast to over grow in your intestinal tract. A yeast overgrowth can present in many ways: Gas, bloating, diarrhea, constipation, acne, weight issues, headaches, joint pain, but the most frequent symptoms that I see are depression, anxiety, ADD, ADHD, sensory issues, behavioral issues, melt downs, aggression, etc. Please sit down with me and tell me what is going on in your world. These symptoms will lead to so many more negative health problems. I can treat them and usually reverse the symptomatology.
Digestive enzymes are needed for your body to properly break down food. When they are lacking the body is not absorbing what you are eating. This will lead to mal nutrition, and numerous health aliments. They are also responsible for removing foreign intruders, like chemicals, pesticides, fungus, and viral pathogens. These enzymes become deficient when we microwave our food, or cook it in general. Raw produce is a good source for enzymes; however, it's being subjected to gassing during the ripening phase, and is being irrigated with chlorinated water taking a lot of the nutritional value out of the food. We simply are not getting enough daily to keep up with our toxic environment and this puts stress on your gallbladder, liver, and pancreas. Pancreatic cancer is on the rise, not to mention the removal of the gallbladder.
• Remove all Aspartame and Phenylalanine from your diet. These sweeteners are commonly found in most diet pop (except diet RC) and several diet or light foods. Ex. Yogurts, low calorie drinks, low fat food.
• No Tylenol - It damages the liver, especially when not taken with food. It also can not be processed when glutathione levels are low or Clostridia is high.
• No MSG - Monosodium Glutamate. It is an excitotoxin, like aspartame and phenylalanine and will hinder neurotransmitters.
• Avoid High Fructose Corn Syrup. Especially if listed in the first three ingredients. A lot of HFCS contain Mercury as a preservative.
• Wash all vegetables with baking soda or lemon juice to remove pesticides.
• Eat two organic apples and two organic grapefruit each day - they regulate blood sugar, decrease appetite, and cleanse the colon, liver, and gallbladder
• Use Stainless steel pots and pans. Teflon is highly toxic.
• Don't cook in plastic. BPA's are highly toxic. Look for BPA free products.
• Store food in glass. Again, avoiding BPA's.
• Drink water! (And from the tap) Some bottled water may be missing important minerals, plus the plastic water bottles are bad for our environment and you. Plastic water bottles are toxic if cooled then warmed. Dioxides are released which can lead to breast cancer. Sheryl Crow's breast cancer was linked to water bottles.
• Check for copper pipes at your home. Copper is currently being researched with an association to Alzheimer's, because copper competes with zinc. High copper = low zinc. No Zinc-No Think.
• If supplementing with zinc take at least one hour before or after eating food. 50 mg/day for an adult.
• Use a salad spinner to help remove pesticides. It works great for berries too.
• Buy hormone free milk. Roberts and AE are good choices. Farmer's give cows hormones to produce more milk, which ends up in our dairy products.
• Buy grass fed beef.
• Buy cage free and antibiotic free poultry. The antibiotics in our meat, damages our good bacteria in our gut.
• Eat pork. The FDA will not allow farmers to use hormones on pigs. It is on the label of pork products. I guess it's good to be a pig!
• No tuna. Mercury levels in seafood continue to rise. Mercury is a known neurotoxin.
• 1- 6 oz can of tuna = 35 ug of mercury - the upper limit for consumption of a 150 lbs man/day is 6.8 ug
• When comparing seafood, the mercury content is as follows (most to least): Shark, Snapper, Swordfish, Ahi tuna (wild), Albacore tuna (canned), Chilean sea bass, Halibut, Light tuna (canned), Salmon (canned), Mackerel (canned), Salmon (farm raised), Cod, Trout, Catfish (farm raised), Shrimp, Tilapia (farm raised)
• When comparing seafood for the omega-3 content, it is as follows (most to least): Salmon (farm raised), Mackerel (canned), Salmon (canned), Trout, Halibut, Albacore tuna (canned), Ahi tuna (wild), Shark, Swordfish, Sea bass, Shrimp, Light tuna (canned), Catfish, Cod, Snapper, Tilapia
• Use extra virgin raw coconut oil or olive oil. They have antifungal, antibacterial, and antiviral properties. They are also non-hydrogenated and helps release fat cells. Use as basic oil or on steamed vegetables.
• When buying olive oil look for organic, extra virgin - cold pressed, first pressed. It has great antioxidant properties.
• Trans-fatty acids: hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oil are extremely bad for you. There are numerous studies indicating that French fries 1 time/week between the ages of 3-5 increases the adult risk of breast cancer by 27% because soybean oil (omega 6) + potatoes increase glycemic index.
• Use raw organic apple cider vinegar. 1Tbsp/3x/day will increase your metabolism, help release fat cells, and help regulate the acidity in the stomach. If it burns, call me.
• Omegas are essential in the diet. Omega's 3 should be a ratio of 2/1 (2000/1000 mg) for EPA to DHA in adults. Children ages 5-16 should be at a ratio of 2.6/1 (1300/500 mg) DHA/EPA.
• Use Chia seeds. These are a great source of Omega's, which are anti inflammatories. They are also a great source of fiber. One scoop daily equals 3,000 mg of Omega's. Keep in refrigerator or freezer.
• Use Flax seed. Also high in Omega's. (Keep in refrig or freezer)
• Make sure you are taking Omega 3's with anti oxidants*****8 oz. of Pomegranate juice/day divided is an excellent source of anti oxidants. White tea and most fruits are also good sources.
• Omega's should NOT be taken with blood thinning or clotting drugs.
• Buy Omega 3 eggs. This balances the arachidonic acid found in eggs. Or add flax or chia seeds to your eggs.
• Vitamin D deficiency is a major health issue. Adults should be taking 5,000 i.u. /day (if in sun with shirt off for 30 minutes do not supplement that day) Children 800 i.u. (400 i.u. 2x/day)
• Cook with Turmeric and Curcumin. These have great anti oxidant properties. They decrease inflammation, decrease blood cholesterol, and increase immune function.
• Drink green tea. Also a great anti oxidant. Theanine is a unique amino acid found in green tea.
• Decrease sugar. Sugar feeds yeast.
• Eat more raw vegetables. They contain natural digestive enzymes.
• Eat more Fiber. Grains, nuts, and raw cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, cabbage, brussel sprouts, cauliflower and kale are excellent sources. Keep in mind you should be having 2-3 BM's/day!
• Go organic with your grooming supplies. Have you ever read the back of your toothpaste? There are several great toothpaste, soaps, shampoos, etc. that are natural. If I have you on a Gluten Free or Casein Free diet check your supplies.
• A "Crystal" body deodorant stick is very effective at controlling odor. The breast cancer association highly recommends this product. There is no aluminum chlorohydrate or paraben's in it.
• Use Epsom salts. They are a great detoxifier. You can soak in them for 20+ minutes - 3 cups/bath or make a lotion and apply daily. I recommend 4 ozs of Lubriderm lotion (red/pink label) mix with 2 tsp. Epsom salts.
• If using perfume or cologne, spray on your clothes, not directly on your skin. Keeping in mind that you will be breathing in the fragrances.
• Limit candles and other fumes.
• Go organic with your cleaning supplies. Amway and Shaklee have great products. Green Works can be found at your local grocery store. You can also use vinegar and water. Just google organic cleaning supplies and see what would fit you the best. Remember, we are eating on those dishes and off those counter tops. Hy-Vee also has a lot of great organic cleaning supplies.
• No dryer sheets. They are about as toxic as oven cleaner. You don't want that on your skin.
• If you are using a product that is toxic, use gloves and have the room well ventilated.
• If receiving inoculations, research them. Generationrescue.org is a great website on the safety of our vaccines. Dr. Sears also has a great book, The Vaccine Book. It explains the side effects and benefits to most vaccines. I am available as well.
• If receiving the Flu shot or H1N1 shot, ask for Thimerosal free. Thimerosal is mercury. In 2001, the FDA removed all Thimerosal from vaccines because it is a neurotoxin. I am not sure how or why the vaccine manufactures are still using it.
• Do not use amalgam dental fillings. There is much debate over this from both sides. I have read numerous studies, and the concern is that they may leak mercury fumes into the oral cavity. My position on this is - Why risk it? There is a safe alternative, use it.
• Take off shoes in the house. This will reduce toxic chemicals in the house.
• Turn off computers and cell phones when not in use. Especially in bedrooms.
Yours in Health
Dr. Kelly M. Kellen
Chiropractic Solutions, P.C.
Sign-up using the form or call us at (319)393-0086 to take advantage of this exclusive offer.
|Monday||8:30 - 12:00||2:00 - 6:00|
|Tuesday||8:30 - 12:00||2:00 - 6:00|
|Thursday||8:30 - 12:00||2:00 - 6:00|
|Friday||8:30 - 12:00||2:00 - 6:00|
|8:30 - 12:00||8:30 - 12:00||Closed||8:30 - 12:00||8:30 - 12:00||Closed||Closed|
|2:00 - 6:00||2:00 - 6:00||Closed||2:00 - 6:00||2:00 - 6:00||Closed||Closed|